Smart plugs are essential for your lighting your house outside while there is a party or during christmas eve, but the thing is all smart plugs are water proof and this may damage your smart plug.
To answer your question, Yes, you can use tp link smart plug outside and it only sustain water sprinkles and when you are not using the plug for any other purposes, keep the plug protected with the cover that came with the plug. You can also buy a outside smart plug protector from Amazon to protect your device from all weather types.
Have you ever wished you could switch on your coffee maker while in bed or turn off the curling iron you left on while rushing to work, or even make passersby and burglars think you are home while away on a trip? The answer to these questions is Yes. However, while many people would point to the purchase of smart appliances as an easy solution, there is a more straightforward and more cost-effective solution- Smart Plugs.
What are Smart Plugs?
Smart plugs are accessories that are designed to assist in the automation of a home or office space. They are designed to make normal everyday appliances smarter. Any device or machine connected to a smart plug can utilize some of the features available to conventional ‘smart’ appliances.
How Smart Plugs work?
Smart Plugs are designed to function wirelessly and are very easy to use. You just plug it to an existing outlet and connect your appliances to the smart plug. The smart plug is connected wirelessly to the smart plug app on your smartphone or your virtual assistants such as Amazon’s Alexa and Google assistant if supported by the smart plug. You can then control the appliance by switching the cap on and off, or simply give a voice command to turn the smart plug on or off.
Some of the standard features of smart plugs are:
- Remote access control
- Scheduler and timer
- Voice command
- Away mode
- Device sharing
One of the earth’s leaders in automation technology is Tp-Link. Tp-Link is also one of the market leaders in the manufacture of smart plugs. Below are some of the most recognizable products from the Tp-link brand.
- Tp Link HS100 Smart Plug
- Tp Link HS110 Smart Plug
Tp-Link HS100 Smart Plug
This smart plug makes it not hard to control your appliances anywhere with just the touch of your smartphone or tablet. It supports a maximum load of 13A and has a maximum load power of 2.99kW. Some of the key features of this smart plug include:
- Easy control of connected appliances from anywhere with just the touch of your smartphone or tablet using the Kasa app. It supports iOS and Android interface
- It utilizes Away mode, making it possible for appliances to switch on and off at different times, indicating that someone is at home. This is very useful in deterring burglars who break into houses when the owners are not around.
- It supports schedule and timers, making it very useful in turning lights and other appliances on and off as required
- Works with voice commands, making it possible to utilize virtual assistants like Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Since this smart plug communicates with the smartphone or tablet employing wireless connection, this eliminates the need for a separate hub.
Tp-Link HS110 Smart Plug
This is another quality smart plug from the Tp-Link family. It is similar to the Tp-Link HS100 Smart Plug-in in many ways but comes with one additional key feature. This smart plug is handy when you want to monitor your energy consumption as it comes with an energy monitoring feature. It supports a maximum load of 13A and a maximum load power of 2.99kW. Key features of this smart plug include:
- Remote Access- it is capable of controlling appliances connected to the smart plug from anywhere in the world. It utilizes the Kasa app as long as you have internet access at your location.
- Scheduling and timer – the smart plug can be set to turn connected devices on and off as required. The timer function also ensures that you can automatically switch off running household appliances based on your settings.
- Supports voice commands – this smart plug works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, or Microsoft Cortana, making it easy to control your appliances using voice commands.
- Energy monitoring – this feature of the smart plug makes it possible to conserve energy and save money. It tracks the user’s device power consumption in real-time and provides weekly and monthly energy summaries. This gives the user a prominent picture of his energy needs and helps him take appropriate steps to reduce his energy bills.
A noteworthy point to note is that the TP-Link HS100 and TP-Link HS110 only support Android 5.1 and above and iOS 10 or higher.
Are the TP-Link HS100 and TP-Link HS110 suitable for Outdoor use?
These smart plugs are made for indoor use only. They have been designed to work under temperature and humidity conditions that make them unsuitable for the outdoors environment. Therefore, it is not suggested for use in outdoor settings.
Kasa smart Plugs are well known in the market. Leveraging over 20 years of TP-Link’s track record of innovation in making homes function smarter. Some of the smart plugs from this brand include:
- Kasa Smart Wifi Plug, HS107
- Kasa Smart Wifi Plug mini, HS105
- Kasa Smart Wifi Plug Slim, KP100
- Kasa Smart Wifi Outdoor Plug, KP400
Kasa Smart Wifi Plug, HS107
This product comes with two smart outlets in one plug. It has a maximum output load of 15A and a maximum load power of 1.8kW. It also comes with other exceptional features such as:
- Grouping- this feature makes it possible to combine one smart plug with other Kasa smart plugs, and all the plugs can be simultaneously controlled through a smartphone or tablet.
- Set schedules- the devices connected to the smart plug can be controlled individually and scheduled to turn off and on at varying times of the day.
- Remote Access- one other key feature of this device is that it can be controlled remotely from anywhere on the earth with just the tap of your smartphone through the Kasa app.
- Voice Command- this smart plug connects seamlessly with well known virtual assistants such as Amazon’s Alexa, Microsoft Cortana, and Google Assistant, making it very easy to control your appliances.
Does the Kasa Smart Wifi Plug, HS107 support Outdoor Usage?
The Kasa Smart Wifi Plug mini, HS107, cannot be used outdoors as it has only been designed for indoor use.
Kasa Smart Wifi Plug mini, HS105 and Kasa Smart Wifi Plug Slim, KP100
The Kasa Smart Wifi Plug HS105 and KP100 have been designed for use in areas with limited outlet space. Their compact design optimizes outlet space. The Kasa Smart Wifi Plug mini, HS105, has a maximum output load of 15A and a maximum output load of 1.8kW while the Kasa Smart Wifi Plug Slim, KP100 has a maximum output load of 10A and a maximum load power of 1.2kW. Features of these smart plugs include:
- Compact design- the design of these particular smart plugs makes them smaller than other smart plugs currently available in the market, making them suitable for use in areas with limited outlet space. They can also be stacked in the same outlet.
- Remote Access- they can also be controlled from anywhere in the world using the Kasa app on your smartphone or tablet
- Set schedules and timer- this function is similar to that on other smart plugs, allowing the user to schedule any device connected to the smart plug to switch on and off automatically.
- No hub required- the wireless communication feature of these smart plugs makes a separate hub unnecessary.
Supports Voice Control – these smart plugs make it possible to use simple voice commands in conjunction with virtual assistants such as Alexa or Google Assistant to control your appliances. Can the Kasa Smart Wifi Plug mini, HS105, and Kasa Smart Wifi Plug Slim, KP100, be used Outdoors?
These smart plugs have been designed for indoor conditions and should not be used outdoors.
Kasa Smart Wifi Outdoor Plug, KP400
This smart plug is the only smart plug in the TP-Link and Kasa family that supports outdoor usage. It has some fascinating features, key among them is its long Wifi range, with a coverage range of up to 300ft. This smart plug has a maximum load output of 15A and a maximum power rating of 1875W. Some other features include:
- Water, dust, and fire Protection- this smart plug has been manufactured with an IP64 rating, giving it protection against entry of dust, splashes of water, and fire. However, the smart plug should be capped with its weather-resistant cover when not in use.
- ETL Certified- this certification is an assurance of the device compliance to safety and quality regulations.
- Remote Access- this smart plug can be controlled from anywhere in the world with just the touch of your smartphone utilizing the Kasa app.
- Voice Control- It retains the voice command control feature common on all Kasa Smart plugs, making it compatible with popular virtual assistants like Alexa, Microsoft Cortana, and Google Assistant.
Can the Kasa Smart Wifi Outdoor Plug, KP400 be used Outdoors?
This smart plug was designed to work in indoor and outdoor conditions, with the device able to withstand outdoor temperatures and humidity. The IP64 rating of this device also ensures that it functions effectively, even if it is exposed to dust, water, or even fire.
Sam has been a Smart Things expert for years and the author of DIY SmartThings. Recently he’s really more into Nest smart devices and has a lot of experience with all sorts of projects from converting a regular Home to completely a smart home with the background degree in Electronics.